A room’s fifth wall is the floor! Floor coverings and rugs can showcase your style, but have additional benefits:
- Carpet is a natural insulator, providing additional warmth in colder seasons.
- It can reduce heating costs, but also enhances the perception of comfort and warmth.
- Rooms with carpeting absorb and contain noise, which offers greater privacy from one room to another and reduces echoing.
- Carpets offer a soft underfoot giving a comfortable, non-slip surface that reduces leg fatique.
- Area rugs can change the feel of a room in an instant and can look great over neutrally colored carpet. They can add casual and simple color and softness or they provide excitement with vibrant color and heavy textures that make them a decorative statement.
- Area rugs give rooms with hard floor surfaces a three-dimensional look with a wide variety of textural possibilities.
Consider your floor as another place to decorate your home. It can offer a backdrop that compliments other furnishings or it can become a focal point of a room’s decor.